Give Yourself a Chance

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Life is ever easy. We've all learned that the hard way, haven't we? Whether it be through trying to better ourselves or through relationships going wrong - we learn it and we get through it.

I've realized I have one very annoying trait, which my cousin seems to have also - we both talk things to death when we don't know what to do. But at least we have each other to talk to so we don't end up talking to ourselves.

Advice is never easy to hear nor is it easy to give. Some people are just born to give advice and some to take it. I'm more on the taking end. And even then sometimes I don't take it. I prefer to do things my own way. The same can be said of my cousin. No matter what someone tells you to do, you are the only one who can actually do it and make something happen.

I would consider myself a listener and a shoulder to lean on. I know without a doubt that I need to be more assertive in what I want to do with my life - especially at the age I am now. I won't get anywhere and I'll give up all my dreams if I don't do something about them.

But pursuing your dreams is a hard step to take. You know you have to do it or you'll end up staying where you are and be unhappy for the long haul.

I've realized that I don't want to be stuck in park anymore with my engine running, ready to go. I want to get moving again and start realizing some of my smaller dreams so my bigger dreams can come into focus. It's a small step, but it can be a big step if I make it happen.

And taking such a step can be a hard decision - weighing the pros and cons of the entire situation can give you perspective, but in the end you have to take the plunge.

Courage weighs in here. Do you have the guts to do it? If you've sat there long enough to see you have to do it, then you should have plenty of courage and if you don't, get it! It will be worth something in the long run (or at least that's my hope for my situation).

1 comments:

Billy Wayne said...

Esther, there's an awesome quote from the movie, "The Devil's Advocate". Al Pacino turns to Charlize Theron and says "The worst vise is advise." Legendary. :-)