Former teacher touched lives at Pleasant Home

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Note: This article will appear in the Thursday, Sept. 2 edition of The Opp News.

The sound of Mamie Wahl’s booming voice and infectious laughter is something I’ll always remember.

Wahl was a sixth grade teacher at Pleasant Home School who taught high school chorus while I was in school. This tough lady went through a kidney transplant and a heart attack and still returned to teaching after each health scare.

Wahl passed away Thursday, Aug. 26 at the age of 58 after spending two and a half weeks in a coma.

Wahl was the kind of teacher you weren’t sure if you wanted to have until you had her. I remember the older kids telling me she was a tough teacher. And that was true. She was a tough teacher, but she was one of the best.

“Mrs. Wahl was always the teacher that all the other kids warned you about, but when I got there I found her to be a great teacher who was different from all the others,” former student Laura Watson said. “She knew how to show discipline without using brute force which always set her apart.”

While I have many memories of Wahl, I know my years in chorus will always be the ones I think of first.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Wahl several years ago while I was completing my internship at the Andalusia Star-News. She was candid about going through dialysis and finally receiving a kidney transplant.

I love to take trips down memory lane and often that comes with remembering what I liked about my favorite teachers.

Several of my schoolmates were kind enough to share their thoughts and memories with me Monday about Wahl’s determination not to give up on her students.

“What was so funny about Mrs. Wahl was that she’d throw a shoe at you, but she’d let you know that you can do anything if you set your mind to it,” former student Christy Watson said.

Wahl touched so many lives with her stern, but practical teaching. One former student was able to say “thank you” and get a little praise from her former sixth grade teacher.

“She’s someone that I’ll remember and be thankful for having the pleasure of knowing for the rest of my life,” Amanda Bryan said.

Bryan said she never understood until years later why Wahl pushed her to always do her best.

“About a year ago I saw her at the doctor’s office and told her thank you for what she’d taught me,” she said. “She smiled and said she knew that I had a lot of potential and that she had just been thinking of me a few days before. She said she was proud of how I turned out.”

Wahl touched lives even when she was going through dialysis before receiving a kidney transplant.

“When Mrs. Wahl had her kidney transplant, my mom was there at the same time for the same thing,” Pleasant Home graduate Leslie Tice Sightler said. “She was an extraordinary lady and I never really knew her that well until then.”

One of the things most students remember is how quickly Wahl’s temper would rise, but they also knew she was a caring teacher who never forgot a birthday.

“I remember how she would paddle you for your birthday, but of course it wasn't a painful paddling,” former student, Yancey Chavers said. “And I remember she would get mad if you called her by her full name, even if you put the "Mrs." in front of it.”

Many of her former students remember a sweet lady, but also one who could straighten up children in a way very few teachers can.

“I remember she was very sweet until you ticked her off,” Angie Cross Parker said with a laugh. “Then those eyes would just cut through you and you knew you better straighten up quick.”

Pleasant Home math teacher, Lisa Rolling remembers the fighter Wahl had become in recent years.

“She was a true fighter,” Rolling said. “She had fought for her life several times, but couldn't fight this one. I sure will miss her. She loved Pleasant Home and she loved her kids. She was a very devoted teacher.”

Many Pleasant Home students will never have the experience of a teacher like Mamie Wahl. This year’s sixth graders will never hear her famous saying “who died and made you king?”

While Pleasant Home, Wahl’s family and her former students mourn her loss, we can all know that our memories of her will last forever.

I know I’ll carry all of these memories with me and smile when I think of her.

0 comments: