Celebrities and the media: How far is too far?

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

(note: this will be one of those "I" blogs)

Celebrities live a very public life once they're in front of the camera. One box office hit and they're followed around every where they go. One hit record and they're branded for life even if they don't put out another one for years.

I am sick of hearing about Britney Spears! Give the girl a rest! I'm sick of hearing about Anna Nicole too. It's been over a year. Find something new to talk about and let her daughter have a normal life. It's one thing to talk about them occasionally, but it's entirely another thing to have them bashed every day or have their private lives put out there for everyone to see. They deserve the same rights we have. The rights to privacy, being the most important.

Another thing that I cannot get over is how the media can be so self serving. When a family is in morning over the loss of a loved one, that is NOT the time to go snapping pictures. It is not the time when the body is rolled out to be taking them either. Things like that are in poor taste. And if there are those who don't agree with me, I think you should have a lesson in respect.

Sure there are famous pictures of things like that, such as John F. Kennedy, Jr. saluting his father's coffin as it passes by. And of course, as a nation we watched as former First Lady, Nancy Reagan kissed her husband's coffin.

I have the personal belief that things like that should be private no matter who the person is. And let me just say that all these reports of how the person died should not be made public. Sure, we're all curious, but is it really our business to know? No. It's not.

The paparazzi are all about getting the one shot that no one else can get. They hound celebrities and follow them around. They cause accidents and find Britney without her underwear again. Or take pictures of Heath Ledger as his body's wheeled out of his NYC apartment. They try to dig up things, such as the video that's been passed around where Ledger is clearly doing drugs.

Being naturally curious is not a crime, but seriously think about it, how would you like to be followed around all day, every day?

1 comments:

Billy Wayne said...

To an extent, I think that the celebrities bring it upon themselves. I mean, if your aim is to be a star in a movie or to sell a million albums, isn't that a like wearing a sign saying "I want to be famous"? No one's holding a gun to their heads.

Besides, the paparazzi wouldn't exist if there weren't a market for their "one shot that no one else can get". Simple economics: the demand will be supplied. So who can you blame here?

But I agree with you that I'd sure hate being followed around everyday, seeing my own belly fat on the cover of some tabloid. But it's in my power to keep from attracting such attention to myself, just as it was in the power of everyone who was ever hounded by the press.

I say, let the press have their way. I don't care. I don't watch TV anyways.

BW