Know where you live

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

It came to my attention as I was pasting in the letters to the editor last night that most young people today do not know where they come from or anything about the town they live in.

This letter was written by my great uncle, who is the historian for our family.

It's amazing to see that the truth of a city can get buried in legend or in what others would want the history of a town to be. It has to be exciting and fascinating, but not always true.

Some people find history boring, but in truth, it should be the focal point of our lives. To know where we came from so we can tell the next generation about it. Our heritage is something to be proud of. It is something we can pass on and something that time cannot erase.

I’m proud of our town, but I’m not proud of those who seek to make a fantasy of how our town came to be.

The main reason I am writing this is because of the letter above. I feel strongly about truth and a fantasy will now be forever marked on the side of a building in mural form. I suppose it is just that, a mural, but if it is to be about our city, then why not let it be true?

We could all use some truth in our lives, couldn’t we?

0 comments: