Family history and good times

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Family! Wow. I really never realized how many people are in my extended family until yesterday.

We had our Ward reunion yesterday and seeing people I haven't seen in years makes me very happy and excited about the future.

Let me explain about my family and how I'm a Ward. My mom was a Ward before she married the first time. She married a Loften and then after he passed away, she married my father. My mom, Edna Earl Taylor nee Ward, was the youngest of three children born to Barnett Seth and Esther Vivian Ward. My grandfather, Barnett was the oldest of 10 children born to William Elias and Hattie Mae Ward. My great grandfather was a preacher and a very good man. I really wish I could have known him.

Those who gathered at the reunion are descendants of William Elias and Hattie Mae Ward nee Knowles. The ten children they had are as follows: Barnett Seth, James Worth, Lucy Elizabeth, William Elias Jr., Mildred, Myrtle Mae, Bessie, Richard Jackson, Wyley Donald, and Doyle Omega. My great grandfather was the son of John "Jack" and Lucy (Godwin) Ward. He was the fourth from the oldest of eleven children. All of this information can be found in my Uncle Donald Ward's book "The Folks from Pea Ridge."

Many of the family got together and made leaves for their families so we can put together a family tree. The kids colored them and several people filled out the information on the leaves. It was a great project that we will get to see flourish as the years go by. Many of the older children will get married and have their own leaves and own families added later on.

There were about 145 people at the old home place today. It's amazing to see the family's roots and hear stories about things that happened in days gone by. My great grandfather ran a farm, raised 10 children and preached the word through the Great Depression. From my Uncle Donald's pamphlet "Uncle Bill as I Knew Him," I've learned my great grandfather was a very giving man and also very intelligent. He was very open minded about religion and often spoke or sang in other churches.

There were 14 of us there from my granddaddy's side of the family. My granddady's children, Gloria, Clyde and Edna are all deceased now, but my Aunt Gloria's children are pictured here with her husband, Robert Gafford. From the back row are Angie Wright, Jason Wright and Ramona Wright. Second row from the left are Raleigh Gafford, Kelsey Bates, Robert Gafford, Regina Bates and Amber Wright. Third row from the left are Randi Sadler, Tyler Nellums, and Savannah (Jason's wife's daughter). Bottom row from left are Kaitlyn Bates and Lyndee Sadler. I'm hoping I have all of these last names right, but I'm going to double check later and make corrections as needed. I am the only one not in the picture and am the only child from my mom's branch of the family.

I have watched all of the kids grow up and I am starting to feel rather old now that they are almost grown. Kelsey is the oldest of the kids - she just turned 18 last month. Tyler is the second oldest and will be 16 in February. Kaitlyn is 13 and the twins, Randi and Lyndee just turned 12 this month.


Kelsey, me and Kaitlyn on the back porch at the old home place.


Tyler and me sitting in the kitchen at the old home place.

As I'm growing older, I've come to realize the importance of family history. You have to know your roots and where you've come from. My family has a lot of amazing history even if we aren't all famous or have life changing jobs. We have touched lives through the branches that spread out far and wide over the southern states. We've lost several great people in the past few years and though we might miss them, we carry on. We think of them and remember them when we gather together as a family and we share our memories of them and hold them dear in our hearts.

4 comments:

Lori said...

It's great to have sweet times with family!

CONGRATULATIONS on your new job!! I loved reading your post and can't wait to hear more!

Shonna said...

I agree...I appreciate the reunions more the older I get. I felt like the time there flew by and I didn't really get to visit with everyone like I wanted, but that gives me more to look forward to at the next one:)

BTW, congrats on the new job!! I am so glad you found something with good benefits and normal hours:)

Karen said...

Great photos. I love family history! Glad you had a nice time w/ your family. And congrats & best of luck on the new job!! Keep us posted. :)

Carrie said...

Esther, I am just now taking the time to catch up on everyone's post. I love to read your posts. You are a truly talented writer. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow at your new job. I will be in prayer for you, but I know you will do great. Thank you for all your prayers and support, and thank you for asking others to pray for me as well. We serve an awesome God who does amazing things and listens to the prayers of His children! Hope all is well with you. I am excited to hear your day goes...