All I want for Christmas is...

Thursday, December 17, 2009

By ESTHER TAYLOR
The Opp News
oppeditorial@centurytel.net

Reading through Dear Santa letters, for the paper, I start to get a little nostalgic. I think about when I was in first grade or second grade – which is over 20 years ago if you can believe it.
I remember wanting simple things, like Barbies and things to entertain me. Now, children have a host of electronic games that can entertain and educate. I think we were easier to please back then. Children today seem to want everything they see on television and Lord help us all if their best friend has something they don’t.
I think it’s important to remember to want more simple things for Christmas, but sometimes those things get lost in what we think we really want and need in our lives.
If I were to write a letter to Santa, it would go something like this:
Dear Santa,
I will not say that I’ve been very good this year. I’m sure I haven’t, but as far as nice goes, I think I’d be among the others on the ‘Nice’ list.
First of all, I would like world peace, but I do not want this at the cost of more lives. I would like for all of our troops to be able to come home for the holidays and be with their families. These courageous men and women have fought, bled and died for our country to be able to have the freedom to celebrate holidays and have the right to state our opinions. They should be able to come home after eight years over there fighting to keep the terrorists at bay.
Second, I would like for there to be no poverty. Everyone should have money in their pockets and a place to call home. I’m not saying this should be a free handout and I’m not saying those who already get government assistance should get off their butts and get a job instead of mooching off the hard working citizens of these United States. Actually, you know what, that IS what I’m saying. If you can work, if you’re physically and mentally able to keep a full time job, you should. No questions. And just because you have assistance from the government to feed your six kids, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t work to support your family further. Government handouts are not for people who sit on their butts and continue to take for granted that people like me help to pay for what you’ve got on your table. And I bet that it’s better than what I’ve got in my refrigerator at home right now.
Third, I would like for there to be a big deal about holidays that honor our fallen soldiers. These men and women gave their lives for us. Does anyone know what that means? That means these people willingly gave up their hopes and dreams and have stepped into the wars that have happened to ensure our survival as a great nation.
I know I’m asking a lot, but these are things our country needs to remember and fight for in the coming years.
Santa we need a little help, so if any of this could be accomplished, I know you’d be the first one to do it. It doesn’t matter if you’re real or not – if you’re real to hundreds of boys and girls across the world, that says something.
When we’re young, we have faith that you’ll bring us what we want. And sometimes we get it and sometimes we don’t. The point is, it’s important to believe in something, no matter what it is!
I know you’ll try your best to lend a helping hand.
Love,
Esther

P.S. If you find Christian Kane lying around somewhere, send him along too.

1 comments:

Billy Wayne said...

Yo Esther. I agree about kids today. Parents ought not spoil their children like they do. I was spoiled as a kid and look how shoddy I turned out. Total loser!

I think a good many people give Veteran's day the place among holidays that you're saying should be there. Some people don't care; mainly those who don't know what they have to be thankful for. But lots of people do care.

Keep up the writing. Peace.