Blessings come in small doses

Friday, March 27, 2009

I know I just posted a new blog, but I wanted to keep my "column" separate from my really personal updates.

Things are going pretty well. I'm still struggling with my eating habits. I miss bread!!! Of course, who doesn't cheat. I know I have. And I've limited my bread intake to once a week. Plus, regular sodas are down to once a week as well. I'm trying to drink more water and diet sodas. It's hard, but I'm making it. I'm also trying to eat more veggies, which is odd for me since I'm always getting something on the go before work. You guys would be surprised how many total carbs and calories fast food places have!! I got a book a while ago with all of that kind of info and I'm really using it now. :)

My sugar levels have been decent lately, but not perfect. I've had a few days when they've been on track, but only once when it's been at 200. At least most days it's close to the max after eating, even if I haven't eaten yet. That's progress at least! I'm proud of myself for doing this. And I'm hoping that with controlling my diet and taking the pills the doctor prescribed, that I'll be able to lose some weight and get healthy. That's something that I've been needing to do for a while now. My weight has gotten completely out of control. I haven't weighed myself since I went to the doctor, but my jeans are getting seriously baggy. I take that as a really good sign!

I spoke to my sister (half-sister from my dad's first marriage, but to me she's my sister no matter what) through email and she told me that my mom got diabetes just before she got pregnant with me. I'm going to double check on that with my Uncle Robert when I get a chance to talk to him. He caught me at the mailbox last week and I told him that I'm type II diabetic. Just knowing when and how mom got through being diabetic will help me, I'm sure. I remember watching her take shots twice a day and checking her sugar twice a day. I remember watching my Aunt Dot (my mom's best friend) do the same thing. I don't want to end up having more problems because of this disease and I do want to have children some day. I want to get it under control, along with my high blood pressure and my weight. My sister told me that blood pressure problems, spider veins on the legs, and heart problems run on my dad's side of the family. Ulcers, heart problems, asthma and diabetes are on mom's side. Plus, I'm still mildly anemic.

I want to get in better health so I can donate blood. I found out the first time I tried to donate that I have a rare blood type. I can't remember if it's AB neg or AB pos, but it's one of the two. I'll have to check with my sister and see what she has and what my dad had. I can't remember if the kid's supposed to have mom's blood type or dad's. That show's how much I payed attention in class, doesn't it?

I told my boss this week about my diabetes and what I'm going through. Hopefully, less stress will follow after Monday's over. We publish our Profile section - which comes once a year - on Tuesday. I know God has better things in store for me. I only hope that things will work out soon so I can find a job I'm more suited for. I want to write! And if I have to move to make that dream a reality, I'll do it! I just finished reading a really wonderful book on this kind of topic - The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It has really helped me to think about my dreams and hope that I can work toward them. I can't give up my dreams because I'm at a stand still. I have to do something about them or they'll never come true! If you haven't read this book and you're looking for some way to get back on the path, I'd recommend this book! It's really simple and it does have some religious/spiritual parts to it. I'm definitely going to re-read it before it has to go back to the library next week and when I get a chance, I'll definitely buy it! (Plus, it's my favorite guy's favorite book - Christian Kane!)

I'm trying to think of more interesting things to tell you guys, but I'm out of things to say. I hope all of you are doing well! I want to congratulate Carrie on getting a job after months of searching! This really shows how God works in our lives and answers the prayers of His children! I'll be trying to catch up on other blogs this weekend at work where I can look at pictures without killing my dialup.

Take care and God Bless!

1 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for the update. I need to take some lessons on healthy eating habits. (although I am vegetarian, that does not translate into "healthy" - I eat waay to much junk!) Keep up the good work. I watched my grandmother suffer with type 2, shots, etc. and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Sounds like you are on the right track though.
Also, I just read your previous blog (for some reason, my blog page does not update so I don't always know when people post new stuff)I'm sorry about the loss of your mentor. I remember you speaking highly of him while you were at LBW. I'm so thankful for the heroes in my life and I'll take the time today to tell them so - thanks for the reminder.