Heroes live on through us

Friday, March 27, 2009

Two years ago last month, I lost one of my real life heroes. My real life hero wasn't a medical doctor, a pastor, a singer or an actor. He had a monotone voice when he spoke in class, but the days when he dressed up as Julius Caesar or Shakespeare were days you knew you should stay awake.

I had no idea what I wanted to do with my college education, but with a great adviser, came a great mentor and a father figure who was always there to lend a hand any way he could. My days at LBW were the best because of the man who I've come to think of as my personal hero.

Mike "Doc" Daniel wasn't your typical adviser or history teacher. Doc was extraordinary - a wonderful professor to do work-study under and a mentor to every student could help. He might have gone to extremes to get the attention of his class and was too kind with extra credit movies for his Western Civ II classes.

As Doc's work-study, I learned that most geniuses have too much stuff for their offices. i learned that being shy was not a good quality if I wanted to be a lawyer, which prompted me to shift my degree to journalism. I know I learned more from Doc than from any of my other teachers because he was such an exceptional mentor. His dry humor, costumes, and goofy grin will always be missed by his students and those who came to know him so well.

There are no words to really say all that Doc was, so I'll just talk about two of my favorite "Doc moments."

I was part of Circle K when I was at LBW. There were only a few of us, but I was always at every meeting. On awards night, just before graduation, Doc asked me to be there and "dress nice." Of course, I had no idea what was going on. That night, I received a plaque for Outstanding Member of Circle K. I'd never really received recognition for anything - unless you count third grade when I got first place and $25 for a poster contest. What made the award even more special was the fact that Doc was the one who presented it to me. I'm glad that I have that memory and photos of that night along with graduation.

My two years at LBW were the best. I made it through the required courses and some amazing classes that I'll never forget. Doc's Ethics and Government classes were definitely among those. Even through the loss of my uncle and having my heart broken, I had the best times of my life at LBW.

My second favorite Doc moment was when I'd been told to interview someone for one of my journalism classes at Troy (State) University. Doc was my first choice. I couldn't tell you what the class was (probably interviewing) or who the professor was (probably Dr. Padgett or Mr. Spurlock), but I remember the conversation with Doc.

We sat down in his cluttered office with a tape recorder, pad and pencil. I had ten questions to ask - mostly centered on his schooling and degrees. I'll never forget my "bomb" question because I had to keep a straight face when I asked him. My last question was out there. I asked if he'd ever been propositioned by a student and if he'd ever gone beyond the student/teacher relationship with any of them.

I'll always cherish the memory of that interview - learning all the things I'd never asked Doc when I was his work-study. And I'll always fondly remember Doc for putting me on the path to being a writer/journalist.

I have so many more reasons for why Doc is my real life hero. Doc never failed to give of his time or even his money when it was really needed. He was one of those rare people who always considered others before himself. For that, and for always being a pleasure to work for, Doc is my hero.

I know so few of us recognize those who have touched our lives while they're here to taid us in our trials and tribulations. I know this is so true for me. We get so busy with our lives and work that we forget to send messages to those we care about and those who have touched our hearts. I regret not keeping in touch with Doc as I should have, but life just got in the way and then I ran out of tomorrows to chat with him.

Tell your real life heroes that you admire them and thank them for touching your life. You never know when that next tomorrow might never come.

0 comments: