An update on me

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In my last post I didn't know anything specific because I hadn't been to the doctor yet.

So here's what's going on with me. I knew I had a kidney infection, which the doctor confirmed and thankfully through the antibiotics I'm all well on that point. My mother had diabetes and had to be on insulin shots, so I knew I was at risk to have diabetes as well. I've just been waiting for the shoe to drop on it - well Thursday the doctor had the nurse check my glucose levels - and it was bad. Not as bad as it could have been, but still enough to diagnose me with Type II diabetes. I know I can deal with this, but it's been very hard. With being sick while the kidney infection was knocked from my system, I didn't really eat much, but now I can't have bread or anything "sweet." Now, the sweets aren't too bad of a thing to say no to - I can have fruit. The bread on the other hand is VERY hard to give up. But it's only for a month until I have to go back and see how I'm doing. When she tested me my glucose level was around 300 - that's over twice what it should be after eating. Needless to say, I need to make some changes.

I'm on a pill, not a shot right now and I'm supposed to check my glucose level every other day. I checked it yesterday and it was down to 264, which is better. Let's hope it keeps dropping! The doctor gave me samples of the pill I am taking and a prescription for another pill for 3 months. I'm hoping that what she told me about the prescription will help me lose some weight - I'm seriously in need of losing over 100 lbs at this point.

I know I don't want to have to go on the shots of insulin and that I do want to lose some weight and be healthier. But the stress of my job (which has gotten moreso lately because of my not feeling 100%) is not helping at all. Here's hoping that things turn around on that front. The doctor thinks most of what is happening with my health is stress related. And there's more stress to come this month - but after it's over things should get better for a little bit.

So, I still need you guys to keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I go through this. I have people that I know who deal with diabetes every day, so I have friends and family to talk to about it. But I know how much easier it would be if my mom were here to help me through this. And going through this makes me miss her more than I have in a very long time. But I know with the prayers and my faith in God, I can make it through.

Love you all!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for the update. I will definately keep you in my prayers.

Lori said...

I will be praying too. I know that diabetes is hard and I'm sorry that you have to deal with that!

Julie said...

I'll be praying for you, too!