Happy New Year!

Friday, January 2, 2009

Just nine years ago we were frightened about going into the new millennium, but now here we are in 2009 and we're still going strong. Our nation may not be the most secure place to be right now, but we're still here - even through a recession. Our nation is still one of the best places to live and with a new president-elect going into office in just 18 days, we're going new places we've never been before.

I'm excited about this year. Mostly because I hope it's a new beginning for me and because I know we are taking a new turn in our nation with the first African American president. I'm anxious and excited to see what Obama will accomplish in this great nation we live in. I know it can't be worse than the last 8 years with Bush - which weren't all bad - we did get a stimulus check that we all desperately needed.

Mostly I'm excited about this year because I will attempt to be a published author by the end of the year. I'm really hoping to finish my novel by the end of January since I have been slacking this December. It's something I've been working on since I was 15 and something that has taken many turns and twists as the characters have come alive on the page. I have simply let them guide me and take me on this journey and I have come through NaNoWriMo with over 50k and still going.

Sometimes I do have my doubts about being a writer, but then I sit here and think about what else I could be doing. There's nothing else I would rather do if I'm completely honest with myself. Sure, I could be an English teacher, but I'd much rather be a writer. I'm no journalist - I'm no Lois Lane by a long shot - investigative reporting is still alive in the bigger cities, but in Andalusia, there's no use. The biggest story we've broken was the money scandal in the probate judge's office. Wow.

Let's all try our best in 2009, no matter what resolutions we've made. My only resolution is try to keep in touch with everyone a little better than last year. I want to make time for friends and family instead of keeping to myself so I can get back into the world a little more.

Here's hoping 2009 is the best year yet!

2 comments:

Lori said...

I didn't make any resolutions since I never keep them anyway! HA Keep us updated on the book, that's exciting.

Carrie said...

Hey Esther! I have lots of resolutions, and hope to keep them this year. I feel you on the writing. I love it so much. I, too, would like to be published one day. Children's books are my thing. Writing is amazing and liberating. There is truly nothing like it. I hope you had a good Christmas and a happy new year. Can you believe we have been out of school for almost 11 years...we are OLD!