Life isn't like what you read in books...

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Life has been...well, busy lately. I've still been working a whole lot. Yes, this job keeps me busy and so do all of my online friends. I roleplay a good bit and that keeps me entertained. I'm writing a book - well, still working on finishing a book is more like it. I'm just about done - just need to get the plot finished. And I'm working on a story for an eBook an online friend is collecting stories for - well stories to consider. I hope mine makes it, but I don't have high hopes right now. There are people out there far more talented than I am.

My writing has gotten much better in the past few years. I think roleplaying helps a good deal - getting to write a story with someone else and seeing yourself in that character doing every action they do is really fulfilling. If I can just get a beta for my short story and a good beta that I trust for my book, I think I'll be on the road to being a real author.

I'm proud that I wrote 50k in 30 days, but I know I'll be even prouder when I can have it finished to start sending to publishers. I really want to have something I'm proud of in book form - even if very few people will actually read it. I've always been a dreamer. I've always had things in my head - pictures of events and people and I know that's why I've always been writing. Journalism was just another way to write, but I want to be creative when I write. Sure, being a reporter can help with that, but you've got to make it interesting and hook in your readers - and trust me, there are NOT any journalists here at the paper now that can do that - well save maybe one (our copy editor). Human interest. Features. Telling something isn't how to hook someone - you have to SHOW them what happened so they can picture it. Yes, that's the way to go.

Okay. I'll stop being a writer now and let you guys know I'm still alive even if I'm getting a little bit sick right now. I know it's because I've been driving around in my car without heat for over a month and because I go from a heated room to a colder room every night. Plus, allergies aren't fun right now with all the weather changes. Here's hoping the weather will make up it's mind for the next few months. But hey, who knows. We could have snow in south Alabama! lol

I hope all of you are doing well. My resolution for this year is to keep in touch with more people by reading their blogs or whatnot. So I'm going to strive to get on MySpace more and try to check Blogspot better. I really have enjoyed catching up with everyone that blogs. I find it's really nice to be able to write about your day and let people read about the things you're doing. It's a great way to get encouragement and communicate.

2 comments:

Lori said...

We need some dreamers out there. I'm very in the now and realistic about things but I do think we need some dreamers amoung us so good for you!

Karen said...

Here's a quote for you: "we can accomplish nothing unless first we dream." - Carl Sandburg